Land and Freedom
Dir: Ken Loach
UK/Spain/Germany, 1995, 109 mins, 35mm
Cast: Ian Hart, Rosana Pastor, Iciar Bollain
Ken Loach’s homage to Catalonia in a grand epic, the film begins with the death of David Carr, a Liverpudlian downtrodden idealist who went to fight fascism in the Spainish Civil War in 1936. Falling in love with the fiery revolutionary Blanca and falling into a rat’s nest of bloody infighting in the left camp, he ends up tearing up his Communist party card and returns to Britain only with a red neckerchief full of Spanish earth. With a true socialist’s moral vision, Loach’s real triumph is, perhaps, to keep alive the fight for the dream of a better world.
1995 Cannes Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize and Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
1995 European Film Awards, Best European Film
Land and Freedom, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London: Faber and Faber, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.