Lancelot of the Lake (Lancelot du Lac)
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1974, 85min, 35mm
Cast: Luc Simon, Laura Duke Condominas, Humbert Balsan
Myth without glory. Bresson returns to the Middle Ages, a decade after The Trial of Joan of Arc, to recreate Lancelot, an archetype of chivalrous honor in its very essence. Bresson instead provides us with a very human figure, defined by doubts and failure rather than jousting swords or banal romance. Caught, indeed, in swirling worlds of infidelity, treachery, grime and death, Lancelot evokes a realistic Round Table with profound meanings rather than banal Camelot endings.
1974 Cannes Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize
Filmmakers on Bresson – John Waters, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.