Dir: Ken Loach
UK, 1994, 101 mins, 35mm
Cast: Crissy Rock, Vladimir Vega, Ray Winstone
Based on a true story, the film dramatizes events that would seem incredible in fiction. Maggie, decreed an unfit mom by the state, has already been torn from her four kids when she settles down with Jorge, a political refugee from Paraguay. But secure parenthood continues to elude her. Descend welfare workers, waving court orders like machetes. Fearless attack on apparatchiks or morbid victimization of Maggie, the film is quintessential Loach. The rough, improvisatory dynamism is arresting, and he draws so strong a performance from Crissy Rock that it wins her the Berlinale Silver Bear.
1994 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear for Best Actress and Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
Ladybird Ladybird, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London:Faber and Faber, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.