Dir: Ken Loach
UK, 1994, 101 mins, 35mm
Cast: Crissy Rock, Vladimir Vega, Ray Winstone
Based on a true story, the film dramatizes events that would seem incredible in fiction. Maggie, decreed an unfit mom by the state, has already been torn from her four kids when she settles down with Jorge, a political refugee from Paraguay. But secure parenthood continues to elude her. Descend welfare workers, waving court orders like machetes. Fearless attack on apparatchiks or morbid victimization of Maggie, the film is quintessential Loach. The rough, improvisatory dynamism is arresting, and he draws so strong a performance from Crissy Rock that it wins her the Berlinale Silver Bear.
1994 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear for Best Actress and Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
Ladybird Ladybird, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London:Faber and Faber, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.