Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni
Italy/France, 1961, 122 mins, DCP
Cast: Jeanne Moreau, Marcello Mastroianni, Monica Vitti
The dark night of a marriage. Giovanni (Marcello Mastroianni) seems on top of the world. He toasts his new book with his elegant wife Lidia (Jeanne Moreau) and their friend Tommaso, confined to a hospital, before the couple drives to a party in Giovanni’s honor. There, though, Giovanni faces his lack of inspiration, the venality of his future and the temptations of a young heiress (Monica Vitti), while Lidia grapples with Tommaso’s death, her own possible infidelities, and the withered love that ultimately separates her from Giovanni.
1961 Berlin International Film Festival, Golden Bear for Best Film
La Notte, From Defining Modernity: Michelangelo Antonioni (Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, 2009)
Michelangelo Antonioni, the Architect of Human Landscape
Buy ticket 06/01/2018 (Sat)
Buy ticket 04/02/2018 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.