Dir: Ken Loach
UK, 1969, 111 mins, DCP
Cast: David Bradley, Brian Glover, Colin Welland, Freddie Fletcher
Hailed as one of the greatest movies in British film history, Ken Loach’s social-realist tragedy is still transcendentally powerful than ever. Born in a sink estate in Yorkshire, semi-literate schoolboy Billy has his first taste of praise and recognition from training a kestrel. The bird’s tragic destruction soon puts an end to his dreams of freedom and spiritual affirmation. A hard slap on the broken education system, and a world of cruelty and willed indifference. Seen today, particularly in light of countless children suffering around the world, Loach’s Kes still cries its authentic song of rage.
1971 BAFTA Film Awards, Best Supporting Actor and Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles
#7 in 1999 BFI Top 100 British Films
Kes, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
Kes, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London: Faber and Faber, 1998)
The Fight Goes On – Ken Loach
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 14/10/2017 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.