Dir: Nicholas Ray
USA, 1954, English, 110min, DCP
Cast: Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge
Misunderstood upon release but championed by the French critics of Cahiers du Cinéma , Johnny Guitar is recognized today as one of Ray’s finest achievements. Given a rare operatic intensity, the Western is richly complicated with psychosexual questions of gender, desire, repression, and a commentary on the McCarthy trials, that makes for a unique take on the genre. Joan Crawford is the quintessential individualist and outsider who becomes persecuted by Mercedes McCambridge’s fanatically puritanical rival and her all-American lynch mob. A favorite of Godard, Truffaut, and camp aficionado Pedro Almódovar.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.