Joan the Maid: The Prisons
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1994, 176min, 35mm
Cast: Sandrine Bonnaire, André Marcon, Jean-Louis Richard
Part two continues Rivette’s epic telling of the life of Joan of Arc, as it follows the 15th century adolescent (played with piercing nuance by Sandrine Bonnaire) from witnessing the crowning of Charles VII in Reims, to her imprisonment by the British and her eventual public execution. If The Battles accounted for Joan’s incredible ascent by following her into combat, The Prisons stripped Joan’s halo of favor by leaving her bare in a series of painfully raw encounters with nobles and clergymen. Supplemented by intertitles and sequences where characters speak directly to the camera, Rivette’s detailed but abstemious narrative does not include the well-documented trial which had previously informed Dreyer and Bresson – as if to question faith itself, directly.
Package Discount on Joan the Maid: The Battles, Joan the Maid: The Prisons and Gang of Four: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of two of the films, 35% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of all three films
The Labyrinth of Mystery – Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.