In the Heat of the Night
Dir: Norman Jewison
USA, 1967, 110min, DCP
Cast: Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger, Warren Oates
“They call me Mr. Tibbs!” growls Sidney Poitier, the first black actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor, in Norman Jewison’s classic small town Southern. Indeed, the evolving dynamics between Poitier’s sophisticated Philadelphia detective and a wise but prejudiced Southern policeman (Rod Steiger) anchors and almost overshadows the complicated search for a culprit. There seem to be too many potential killers and motives, while Tibbs himself becomes the one who often faces the threat of death. A cop-and-cop drama that distills race itself as the fundamental American dilemma.
1968 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.