Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Dir: Taika Waititi
New Zealand, 2016, 101min
Cast: Sam Neill, Julian Dennison, Rima Te Wiata
Ricky Baker (Julian Dennison) is a mischievous – bordering on juvenile delinquent – city boy who moves to the New Zealand countryside to live with a new foster family. But before the rotund 13-year-old gets too comfortable in his new surroundings, Ricky is forced to go on the lam from the police with his foster uncle, Hec (Sam Neill). Out in the bush, Ricky exchanges wisecracks with the curmudgeonly Hec, who teaches the boy how to survive off the land. Director-writer Taika Waititi’s adventure comedy, wildly popular back home in New Zealand, once again displays his sharp eye for interpreting youthful transgressions, as he did in Boy (2010), and wild farce, with the vampire cult hit What We Do in the Shadows (2014).
2016 Edinburgh International Film Festival, Audience Award
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.