Hour of the Wolf (Vargtimmen)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1968, 90min, DCP
Cast: Max von Sydow, Liv Ullmann, Gertrud Fridh, Georg Rydeberg
Halfway between midnight and dawn, it’s the darkest hour of the soul. Haunted by his deepest fear of annihilation, the sleepless painter Johan (Max von Sydow) speaks with his pregnant wife Alma (Liv Ullmann) of his strange dreams – conjured by Bergman’s own ghastly childhood memories and bizarre imaginations. Slipping hallucinations back and forth across the line of reality, Bergman creates a Gothic horror that pushes the artist into insanity. Unforgiving as it seems, Alma’s unrestrained love for her husband leaves a ray of hope in a world of demons.
1969 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Director
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.