Dir: Jane Campion
USA/Australia, 1999, English, 115min, 35mm
Cast: Kate Winslet, Harvey Keitel, Julie Hamilton
India! Guru! And flip, The Outback! Ultimately a satire on spirituality, conventionality and sexuality, and the West’s fascination with exoticism, Holy Smoke features a Kate Winslet miles apart from her Titanic (1997) role as she plays a soul-searching hippie who becomes too much out of the world in the eyes of her family. What awaits her is Harvey Keitel’s cult de-programming treatment, which turns into a series of heated negotiations involving the body, desire, and will. Jane Campion tears off the sacredness of the smoke screen we all try to put up in front of life itself, and exposes the naked truth none of us wants to confront.
1999 Venice Film Festival, In Competition
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.