High and Low (Tengoku to jigoku)
Dir: Kurosawa Akira
Japan, 1963, 143min, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Nakadai Tatsuya,Kagawa Kyoko
Regarded as one of Kurosawa Akira’s best modern dramas of conscience, High and Low is engaged with moral and social questions wrapped in an engrossing suspense thriller. Footwear magnate Gondo (Mifune) is the target-on-high of the impoverished medical student Ginjiro. When Ginjiro mistakenly kidnapped the wrong son, Gondo is caught in a moral dilemma of whether or not to pay the ransom. The mercurial Mifune Toshiro unveils a simmering emotional volcano, struggling from terrible rage of ambition to truthful compassion. As to Kurosawa, humane values illuminate the heaven on earth.
#2 in 1963 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.