Dir: Ken Loach
UK, 1990, 108 mins, 35mm
Cast: Frances McDormand, Brian Cox, Brad Dourif
Short of banning it, the British government openly reviled Hidden Agenda. Why wouldn’t they? Jim Allen’s script percolates with startling revelations about the venality of Britain’s secret service: the unofficial “shoot to kill” policy, the murder of nonviolent opponents, the politicians carrying out a hidden agenda against the IRA. The plot concerns the murder of an American civil liberties campaigner and two police officers’ enquiry which leads to the heart of the military and political establishment. A razor-edged political thriller which the Tory had a good reason to hate – six months after its screening, the then prime minister Margaret Thatcher stepped down.
1990 Cannes Film Festival, Jury Prize
Hidden Agenda, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London: Faber and Faber, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.