Heart of Glass
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1976, 91 mins, DCP
Cast: Josef Bierbichler, Stefan Güttler, Clemens Scheitz
In an 18th-century Bavarian village, the baron of a glassblowing factory deliriously tries to recover the lost secret to producing the ruby glass, soon descending into madness along with the rest of the townspeople. Only the shepherd, who is gifted with the power of prophecy, utters mysterious oracular pronouncements about impending doom – world wars, nuclear destruction, tyranny and ecological disaster. Hypnotizing most of the actors in almost all scenes, Herzog sees souls taken away from men, losing the meaning and the will to survive. A grim vision of hopelessness, it’s a world sinking into self-destruction along with our so-called civilization.
1977 German Film Awards, Best Cinematography
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.