Happy as Lazzaro (Lazzaro Felice)
Dir: Alice Rohrwacher
Italy, 2018, 125min
Cast: Adriano Tardiolo, Luca Chikovani, Alba Rohrwacher
Inheriting Italian neorealism with magical inflexions, Alice Rohrwacher – following her Cannes Grand Prix winner The Wonders (2014) – creates her own brand of striking poetry fusing eccentric fantasy and social critique. Shot on Super 16mm, the film’s grainy sepia tinge evokes nostalgia of rural innocence and melancholy of urban decay through the tale of Lazzaro, an achingly naive peasant traveling in time in search of his friend – a devious lad of the manor who now becomes a broken man in the modern city. Winner of Cannes’ Best Screenplay, this fascinating allegorical mystery bears witness to two eras of social exploitation, yet embracing the human spirit and saintly heart shielded in the contemporary Happy Prince in undeniable beauty.
2018 Cannes Film Festival, Best Screenplay
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.