Grave of the Fireflies (Hotaru no haka)
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 1988, 89min, DCP
One of the most powerful emotional experiences that command a rethinking of animation. In the distressing days of World War II, two children are made orphans and homeless by the bombs. The brother recounts the last days with his sister in a hillside cave refuge, trying hard to find tiny pleasures in a candy tin and fireflies’ illumination. In sublime visual poetry and meditative silence, Takahata immersed his own wartime memories into this profound animation, so beautifully sad that inspires tears, while inviting reflection on the cruelty of war.
© Akiyuki Nosaka / Shinchosha, 1988 All Rights Reserved.
1989 Blue Ribbon Award, Special Award
2014 #15 in Time Out London’s 100 Best Animated Movies
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.