Grand Illusion (La grande illusion)
Dir: Jean Renoir
France, 1937, 114min, DCP
Cast: Jean Gabin, Dita Parlo, Pierre Fresnay
Two French military men, captured by the Germans during World War I, seek escape. But from what? Their prison camps, undermined by tunnels and conspiracies? The prisons of European society, divided by class and the subtle currents of anti-Semitism? The prison of war itself, the greatest illusion in a Europe sliding again into global destruction? Renoir constructs profound encounters among the aristocratic aviator de Boeldieu (Pierre Fresnay), the working class Maréchal (Jean Gabin), the Jew Rosenthal (Marcel Dalio) and the conflicted German aristocrat von Rauffenstein (Erich von Stroheim).
1937 Venice Film Festival, Best Overall Artistic Contribution
1938 USA National Board of Review, Best Foreign Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.