Gang of Four
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1988, 155min, 35mm
Cast: Bulle Ogier, Benoît Régent, Fejria Deliba
Acting students Claude, Anna, Joyce and Cecile study under the enigmatic Constance Dumas (Bulle Ogier) in her much soughtafter, women-only theatre class. The aspiring actresses share a house in the outer suburbs; when Cecile moves out, a fellow student, Lucia, takes her room. Soon, a mysterious man – who may either be a detective or a criminal – begins to approach each housemate under different pretenses, seeking out Cecile’s whereabouts and eventually infiltrating their house…Rivette again muses on the dubious interstices between acting and ‘real life’ in this film – where women contend with a masculine intrusion (in more ways than one), rehearsals are aptly more than just role-playing, and the truth may lie somewhere between life and the stage.
1989 Berlin International Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize and Honorable Mention
Package Discount on Joan the Maid: The Battles, Joan the Maid: The Prisons and Gang of Four: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of two of the films, 35% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of all three films
The Labyrinth of Mystery – Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.