Full Metal Jacket
Dir: Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA, 1987, 116min, DCP
Cast: Matthew Modine, Vincent D’Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey
Stanley Kubrick once again trains his unique cinematic lens on the dehumanising nature of war in this blistering adaptation of Gustav Hasford’s The Short-Timers . Fresh-faced US Marine recruits are shorn like sacrificial spring lambs, then stripped of their dignity and identity by a terrifying drill sergeant (the recently deceased R. Lee Ermey in the role of his life). The once-innocent youngsters are transformed into dead-eyed killing machines, forced into respecting their weapons like women, before being shipped off to Vietnam. Kubrick transformed London’s Isle of Dogs into a bombed-out Asian hellscape, teeming with unseen enemies and reprehensible rhetoric. Yet amidst this nightmarish vision, he captures moments of great beauty and diabolical humor, not to mention the single greatest sniper attack put on film. Unfairly maligned, Full Metal Jacket deserves to rank amongst the filmmaker’s very best work.
1989 Kinema Junpo Awards, Best Foreign Film Director
26.8.2018(SUN): Post-screening talk with Long Tin
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.