From Here to Eternity
Dir: Fred Zinnemann
USA, 1953, English, 118min, DCP
Cast: Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Montgomery Clift
Deserving to be remembered for more than the passionate horizontal embrace and the famous kiss in the surf between Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr, this eight-Oscar winner is one of the finest war dramas ever made in Hollywood. Challenging the “un-American” critique under McCarthyism, Austrian director Zinnemann’s adaptation of James Jones’ heavyweight story blasts the corruption and brutality in the US Army, as explosive as the scenes of Japanese bombing on Pearl Harbor. Despite its critical attitude to the military, the film cheers for heroism and brotherhood, spiced with strong action, humor and blues – and of course, bittersweet love.
Academy Awards: 8 awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay
15.6.2019 (SAT): Film talk with Fung Ka-ming
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.