Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1956, 117min, DCP
Cast: Yamada Isuzu, Tanaka Kinuyo, Takamine Hideko, Sugimura Haruko
Capturing life in the midst of changing times, Flowing is based on Koda Aya’s remarkable autobiographical novel about women who cohabit a geisha house in decline. The widowed Rika (Tanaka Kinuyo, well known as Mizoguchi’s Oharu) works as a maid in the house run by proud mistress Tsutayako (Yamada Isuzu), who strives to save not only her struggling establishment but also a fading way of life. A complicated portrait about work, traditions and the illusions of female camaraderie, this magnificent and poignant ensemble piece shines with performances by some of Japan’s finest actresses.
#8 in 1956 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
1957 Blue Ribbon Awards, Best Actress
Lecture: Art Time vs the Time of Capital | Speaker: Chris Fujiwara
(Conducted in English)
Flowing is set mostly inside a geisha house, where Naruse carefully interweaves two contrasting experiences of time. Devoted to art, beauty, and comfort, the protagonists seek to perpetuate the drifting, indefinite feeling of time that belongs to their profession. Their way of life is threatened by intruders and exploiters who bring with them the quick and abrupt temporality of postwar Japan. This discussion will trace the conflict between these two times throughout Flowing.
Package Discount for “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering”
– 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL 6 sessions, and get a free copy of Naruse Mikio, 110th Anniversary catalogue*; or
– 20% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to difference sessions.
* Audience MUST present ALL 6 original tickets of “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering” screenings for the catalogue redemption on-site 30 minutes prior to the screening.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.