Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1982, German, 158min, DCP
Cast: Klaus Kinski, Claudia Cardinale
An impossible film about an impossible dream, Fitzcarraldo is the story of a mad adventurer who is determined to build an opera house in the Amazon forest, and concurrently, of a cracked director who is unyielding in discovering new images no one has ever seen. The surrealist image of the huge boat being hauled uphill has become a supremely quixotic vision of unstoppable entrepreneurial ambition, inseparable from Herzog’s own obsession in realizing it. It earned him the Best Director Award at Cannes, and remains one of the greatest visions, and the greatest follies, of cinema.Don’t miss Les Blank’s excellent documentary on the film’s making, Burden of Dreams (P.17).
1982 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director
Werner Herzog, the Manic Genius II
Full House 22/04/2018 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.