Dir: Paul Schrader
USA, 2017, 113min, DCP
Cast: Ethan Hawke, Amanda Seyfried, Cedric Antonio Kyles
A scrupulous homage to both Dreyer and Bresson, Taxi Driver (1976) creator Paul Schrader’s masterwork explores the growing silences that destroy a minister amidst personal conflicts, changing church politics and a global environmental apocalypse. Anchored by Ethan Hawke’s incredible performance as the minister of a small historic church now overshadowed by megareligion, it links the intimacies of family and mentorship to a darkness of doubt and destruction with crucial supporting roles by Amanda Seyfried and Cedric the Entertainer. A powerfully religious movie imbued with faith, struggle and meaning, if not with inspiration or salvation.
2017 Venice Film Festival, In Competition
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.