Dir: Kitano Takeshi
Japan, 1997, 103min, 35mm
Kitano Takeshi takes full control. Writing, directing, editing and starring in this drama of a forcibly retired police officer who drifts into a life of debt, crime and redemption. Nishi is torn by guilt for the incident that killed and maimed his colleagues and bound by the obligations of caring for his dying wife. A robbery allows him to pay back some of his debts, yet he – and we – know that the pilgrimage he takes to sacred sites with his wife will come to a difficult end, whatever justice means.
1997 Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion Best Film
1999 #1 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.