Even Dwarfs Started Small (Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen)
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1970, 96 mins, DCP
Cast: Helmut Döring, Gerd Gickel, Erna Gschwendtner
In an institution set in a desolate landscape, the dwarf inmates start their rebellion. As the director is taken hostage, the inmates go wild and engage in naughty acts, soon moving to progressively more destructive actions. Burning a lonely palm tree, torturing barnyard animals and even their fellow blind inmates, they are madly giggling with joy at how the rules are being broken at will. Herzog confronts us with the ultimate questions of what we are and what constitutes our humanity. We are, all like the dwarfs, trying hopelessly to make sense of a cruel and brutal dystopia.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.