Elevator to the Gallows
Dir: Louis Malle
France, 1958, 91 mins, DCP
Cast: Jeanne Moreau, Maurice Ronet, Georges Poujouly
A pair of adulterous lovers plot to murder the woman’s wealthy husband, but their plan goes awry when her paramour becomes trapped in an elevator after his botched escape from the crime scene – and inadvertently drawing a homicidal teenage couple into their web of deceit. Louis Malle’s debut feature – a tightly executed film noir with dazzling cinematography – catapulted Jeanne Moreau to stardom as the desperate wife wandering the nocturnal streets of Paris, searching for the lover that she believes has betrayed her. Miles Davis’ pioneering jazz score is rightly famous, capturing the film’s exhilarating, recklessness and mournful moods of this early entry to the French New Wave movement.
Elevator to the Gallows co-presented by
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.