Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1976, 121min
Cast: Juliet Berto, Bulle Ogier, Jean Babilée
Originally conceived to be part two in a quartet of films, Duelle is Rivette’s radical and fantastical gesture away from the world of his earlier films and towards a complete abstraction of cinema-making. Rival goddesses Leni (Juliet Berto) and Viva (Bulle Ogier) – daughters of the moon and the sun, respectively – vie for a magical diamond that would allow them to stay in the mortal realm, beyond the forty days of the traditional carnival-lunar cycle. Inspired by classic 1940s film noir, redolent with references to Cocteau and haunted by the on-and-off screen presence of Jean Weiner’s improvised piano music, Duelle pointedly explores the mythologization of women as both goddess and actress of the cinema screen.
*Post-screening talk with William Lau
Package Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both Duelle and Noroît .
The Labyrinth of Mystery Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.