Dir: Jerzy Skolimowski
UK/West Germany, 1970, 92min, DCP
Cast: Jane Asher, John Moulder-Brown
Generational confusion, emotional chaos and absurdist sensibility of the Swinging Sixties poke up above water in Skolimowski’s touching and surreal coming-of-age story. Taking a job in a tattered old London bathhouse, timid Mike is infatuated with Susan, an experienced attendant who helps him navigate client’s unsavory advances and discover the world of lust and sex. Music from Can and Cat Stevens, along with expressionistic water imagery, articulates a loose, freewheeling feel drown in the allegorical world of the pool. A bizarre yet pathetic ending is the high point of this wonderfully mysterious film.
Co-presenter of “Marvelous Four: 100 Years of Polish Independence”
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.