Daughters, Wives and a Mother
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1960, 123min
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Takamine Hideko, Takarada Akira, Koizumi Hiroshi
Sanae (Hara Setsuko), a recent widow, has returned to the family home with a sizable sum of insurance money – an event that triggers discord in a family already coming apart at the seams. With great performances by an A-list cast, Daughters, Wives, and a Mother contrasts Sanae’s virtuous daughter against her scheming, cashstrapped, and self-centered relatives, highlighting the mismatch between how people ought to be versus how they actually behave as a family. Naruse’s usual grim outlook on modern society is no less tarnished by this film’s resplendent color and Tohoscope cinematography; rather, the vibrancy only enhances the loathsome quality in human nature.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.