Daughters, Wives and a Mother
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1960, 123 mins, DCP
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Takamine Hideko, Mori Masayuki, Nakadai Tatsuya
Following the death of her husband, Sanae returns home to her family, only to find her siblings coveting her inheritance. As the family runs into trouble, she must choose between her young suitor and the wealthy older man who can give her and her mother a place to stay. Hara Setsuko’s virtue and benevolence contrasts the irresponsibility and causal opportunism of her relatives, shattering the illusion of internal coherence of the family. A painful truth though it be, love and marriage don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Yet, Naruse bestows consolation in some absorbing moments between Hara and Nakadai, with a stunning kissing scene that offers solace in the harsh reality.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.