Dark Star – HR Giger’s World (Dark Star - HR Gigers Welt)
Dir: Belinda Sallin
Switzerland, 2014, 95 mins
Single-handedly responsible for changing sci-fi cinema as we know it, Giger is recognized as one of the world’s foremost artists of fantastic realism, winning an Oscar for the iconic space monster in Alien. But who was the man behind these terrifying images of sexual, biomechanical horror? Giger passed away in 2014, but before he died director Belinda Sallin was able to spend time with the artist. Entering into his house which seems like a living grave but shelters his creative den, Sallin discovers something about the deranged yet ingenious mind behind some of the 20th Century’s most frightening imagery.
28/10/2017(Sat): Post-screening discussion with director Belinda Sallin. Moderator: Andreas Bühlmann
Conducted in English. Admission by ticket only
Belinda Sallin is a documentary director and author. She was a journalist and chief editor for the political magazine “Rundschau” and the co-founder and owner of the independent production company “Lucky Film GmbH”. Dark Star was her first feature documentary.
Andreas Bühlmann holds a MA in film studies from the University of Zurich. He works as a curator and organizes Industry Events in Internationale Kurzfilmtage Winterthur.
Dark Star – HR Giger’s World – From 39th HKIFF Main Catalogue, 2015
“The Biomechanical Dreamscapes of HR Giger” is co-presented by
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.