Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1973, 91min, DCP
Cast: Harriet Andersson, Kari Sylwan, Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann
Enveloped in a crimson membrane of passion and fear, the dying Agnes reaches out in vain for consolation in her two sisters, Karin and Maria, whose caring touch is nothing but a parody. Stuck in nightmares, her only solace is lying in the embracing arms of her religious maid Anna. In striking color photography, Bergman tears open the anguish red of the soul – from hate, disgust, to the intolerable fear of death. An unparalleled masterpiece that is hypnotic, distressing and yet surprisingly hopeful – life can be perfect, if only for a few minutes.
1973 Cannes Film Festival, Technical Grand Prize
1974 Academy Awards, Best Cinematography
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.