Cool Hand Luke
Dir: Stuart Rosenberg
USA, 1967, 126min, DCP
Cast: Paul Newman, George Kennedy, Strother Martin
Paul Newman elevates the story of the wronged prisoner rising above his punishments to a truly iconic level. Every scene shot in the burning sun of a Florida chain gang, every interaction where he challenges the police, crystallizes raw tensions and primal masculine confrontations. While we soon come to idolize Luke as much as his fellow prisoners (including a powerful turn by George Kennedy), we also foresee the tragic denouement with fearful attention. What we do not have here, though, is a failure to communicate.
1968 Academy Awards, Best Supporting Actor
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.