Comrades, Almost a Love Story
Dir: Peter Ho-Sun Chan
1996, Cantonese, 119 mins, DCP
Cast: Leon Lai, Maggie Cheung, Eric Tsang
Teresa Teng’s luscious and melancholic love songs flow through this romantic drama of two mainland immigrants striving to make their Hong Kong dreams come true. Loneliness of living brings Li Xiaojun (Leon Lai) and Li Qiao (Maggie Cheung) into a passionate love affair. Fate has the lover set up for detours, until they meet again in New York at the death of their favorite singer. Twenty years on, Chan’s turbulent love story set against the backdrop of Hong Kong’s prehandover gains an extra dimension today under the new social dynamics, yet the remorse of long-gone love still resonates as vivid as ever.
1997 9 Hong Kong Film Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actress
1997 Golden Horse Film Awards, Best Feature Film and Best Actress
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.