Comrades, Almost a Love Story
Dir: Peter Ho-Sun Chan
1996, Cantonese, 119 mins, DCP
Cast: Leon Lai, Maggie Cheung, Eric Tsang
Teresa Teng’s luscious and melancholic love songs flow through this romantic drama of two mainland immigrants striving to make their Hong Kong dreams come true. Loneliness of living brings Li Xiaojun (Leon Lai) and Li Qiao (Maggie Cheung) into a passionate love affair. Fate has the lover set up for detours, until they meet again in New York at the death of their favorite singer. Twenty years on, Chan’s turbulent love story set against the backdrop of Hong Kong’s prehandover gains an extra dimension today under the new social dynamics, yet the remorse of long-gone love still resonates as vivid as ever.
1997 9 Hong Kong Film Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actress
1997 Golden Horse Film Awards, Best Feature Film and Best Actress
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 20/08/2017 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.