Celine and Julie Go Boating (Céline et Julie vont en bateau)
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1974, 193 mins, DCP
Cast: Juliet Berto, Dominique Labourier, Bulle Ogier
Widely considered Rivette’s crowning achievement, Celine and Julie may seem like Alice in Wonderland at first, but soon you’ll find that the bonbons lead to an intricate world of labyrinth nowhere to find. Its interlaced stories set in parallel realities; its half-improvised dialogues full of word-games; its restless subversive playfulness. In Rivette’s sweeping tracking shots through forgotten corners of Paris, Celine and Julie playfully switch identities in their daily lives, and as they increasingly indulge their fantasies, they find themselves trying to rescue a young girl from a haunted house. Curiosity and imagination are infinite, as the film ends with the promise of another round of hide-and-seek game.
1974 Locarno International Film Festival, Special Prize of the Jury
26/8/2017 (Sat): Post-screening talk with Long Tin
Package Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both La Chinoise & Celine and Julie Go Boating
Celine and Julie Go Boating, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.