Case for a New Hangman (Prípad pro zacínajícího kata)
Dir: Pavel Jurácek
Czechoslovakia, 1970, Czech, 102min, DCP, English subtitle
Cast: Lubomír Kostelka, Klára Jerneková, Milena Zahrynowska
A remarkable film from the Prague Spring that was “banned forever” by repressive Czech authorities. Drawing on centuries of satirical odysseys to a familiar land turned upside down, Jurácek channeled Jonathan Swift and Franz Kafka (and perhaps a bit of Alice in Wonderland) into an absurd world of autocratic rules and compliant citizens. The “real” Czech rulers could not blot out the sun, but they did extinguish the filmmaker’s career. Yet, nonetheless, his marvelous work survived them.
13.4 (SAT): Introduction by Gabriel M. Paletz (in English)
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 13/04/2019 (Sat)
Buy ticket 01/05/2019 (Wed)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.