Dir: Brian De Palma
USA, 1976, 98min
Cast: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving
The first screen adaptation of Stephen King’s work transforms his debut novel into one the most influential films in modern horror, steering the genre towards the plight of teenagers, where it would remain ever since. Sissy Spacek is both frail and frightening as the persecuted teenager wrestling with telekinetic powers beyond her control, while Piper Laurie resurrected her career as Carrie’s terrifying fundamentalist mother. But like The Exorcist (1973) before it, the film is as much about adolescence and a fear of femininity as it is about the supernatural. De Palma employs pioneering split-screen photography and a searing score from Pino Donaggio as he builds towards cinema’s most memorable – and bloodsoaked – prom sequence, capped by a shock ending that 40 years on still wields unearthly power.
1977 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Actress
The Taste of Cult
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.