Carnival Scenes (De ce trag clopotele, Mitica?)
Dir: Lucian Pintilie
Romania, 1982, Romanian, 119min, English subtitle
Cast: Victor Rebengiuc, Mariana Mihut, Petrica Gheorghiu
Carnival. The world turned upside down. When fools take charge – or do they merely use their foolish escapades to talk of deeper and more dangerous stories? Taking an apparently innocent story of deceptive lovers and ongoing confusion from the classic Romanian satirical playwright Ion Luca Caragiale (1852-1912), Pintilie once again manages to subtly undercut the entire decaying regime of late Communism, which, in turn, forbade the film from public screening until revolutionary changes arrived in 1989.
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 14/04/2019 (Sun)
Buy ticket 26/05/2019 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.