Burden of Dreams
Dir: Les Blank
USA, 1982, Spanish, English, German, 95min, DCP
Plane crashes, disease, Indian’s attacks, crew rebellion… all these hardships were on top of the incredible task Herzog set himself to film his obsessed hero using teams of Indians to pull an entire steamship up a hill, for fulfilling his dream of building an opera house in the Amazon rainforests. Acclaimed filmmaker Les Blank takes us to the locations of Fitzcarraldo (P.11) to revisit some of the most torturous and dangerous shooting experiences in film history, and capture Herzog’s descent into near-hysteria to complete an impossible project. The footage Blank salvaged includes earlier scenes starring Jason Robards and Mick Jagger. One of the most remarkable documentaries about the making of a film, it’s an extraordinary portrait of a manic genius entangled in the pursuit of his wildest dreams.
1983 BAFTA Awards, Best Documentary
4.5.2018 (Fri): Post-screening talk with William Lau
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.