Dir: Jane Campion
UK/Australia/France, 2009, English, 119min, 35mm
Cast: Abbie Cornish, Ben Whishaw, Paul Schneider
Before the great Romantic poet John Keats died young of tuberculosis, he dedicated the sonnet Bright Star to Fanny Brawne to commemorate their intense and desperate love. Jane Campion’s film lifts up Brawne from the shadow of a legendary figure, restoring her as a human being with flesh and bones; a woman who burns with her courage and passion, and an enduring devotion for the struggling Keats. Paralleling the intersecting universes of Keats and Brawne, Jane Campion weaves a profoundly sensual and poetic piece on the lightness and brightness of love.
2009 Cannes Film Festival, In Competition
2010 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Supporting Actor
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.