Dir: Terry Gilliam
UK／USA, 1985, English, 143 min, DCP
Cast: Jonathan Pryce, Kim Greist, Robert De Niro
Battling oppressive bureaucracy of the totalitarian state, a docile officer falls into romantic fantasies with a mysterious beauty who is classified as a terrorist, and into a series of hellish nightmares as he tries to rescue her. Echoing Gilliam’s own off-screen strife with the monolithic MCA whom he fought for the right to final cut, this retro-futuristic classic combines George Orwell’s dystopian vision of 1984 with Federico Fellini’s imagination in 8½ (1963), yet blending his vicious brand of social satire à la Monty Python with an ambitious visual inventiveness. A prophecy of an extremely bleak future, or a present moment reminder that life under paranoia and control is actually real?
Academy Awards: Best Writing and Best Art Direction Nominations
Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay
2/11 (SAT): Film talk with Thomas Shin
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.