Dir: Brian De Palma
USA, 1984, 114min, DCP
Cast: Craig Wasson, Melanie Griffith, Gregg Henry
De Palma again drives full-throttle into Hitchcock territory, even going so far as casting Melanie Griffith – daughter of Tippi Hedren, star of The Birds (1963) and Marnie (1964). Body Double is De Palma’s most conspicuous homage to the Master of Suspense, and Rear Window in particular, with its themes of voyeurism and obsession. Jake is an actor haunted by a traumatic childhood incident that has left him desperately claustrophobic. After a humiliating breakup with his girlfriend, Jake takes refuge in a friend’s Hollywood Hills home, where his suppressed sexual desires bubble up while peeking into a nearby house, in which a woman gyrates in the nude. Is her nightly frolic Jake’s secret erotic pleasure or is there something more sinister at hand?
1985 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Supporting Actress
Brian De Palma, the Obsessive Cineaste
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.