Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni
UK/Italy/USA, 1966, 111 mins, DCP
Cast: David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin
Antonioni in English, bringing a Palme d’Or at Cannes and box office success – in part because of its challenges to Hollywood’s censorship of sex. Starting from a story by Argentine author Julio Cortázar, Antonioni follows trendy London fashion photographer Thomas (David Hemmings) as he grows uneasy in his swinging world of beauty, drugs and parties. A chance photograph and encounter with a woman brings him into a world of mysteries, lies and even murder… or are these all illusions? The legendary pantomime tennis match provides the ideal finale and challenges us with shifting layers of vision, music and meaning.
1967 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or
Michelangelo Antonioni, the Architect of Human Landscape
Buy ticket 14/01/2018 (Sun)
Buy ticket 10/02/2018 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.