Dir: Walerian Borowczyk
France, 1971, 94min, DCP
Cast: Ligia Branice, Michel Simon, Georges Wilson, Jacques Perrin
Far from the sex-saturated surrealism that Borowczyk would later earn his contentious reputation for, this staid medieval drama affirms his status as one of the best European directors. His wife Ligia Branice gives a heartrending performance as Blanche, whose beauty and sensuality beguile everyone – the king, his page and her baron husband’s son – and lead to many tragic ends. Winding stone staircases, bizarre décor crafted to resemble medieval fresco, added to stunning ancient music and muted color palette, forge an astounding visual indulgence about desire, love and death.
1972 Berlin International Film Festival, Interfilm Grand Prize
Co-presenter of “Marvelous Four: 100 Years of Polish Independence”
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.