Dir: Nicholas Ray
France / USA, 1957, English, 102min, DCP
Cast: Richard Burton, Curd Jürgens, Ruth Roman
Against the global stage of World War II, this Franco-American film asks what the human price of glory really is. While not the outsiders we so often associate with Ray, in this powerful film, the sharp contrasts between Curd Jürgens as a South African Major and Richard Burton as the Welsh Captain evoke Ray’s recurrent concerns with belonging, complex relationships and betrayal, struggling across the bleak Libyan Sahara. Their rescue mission reveals the character of the men in charge and reflects on their relationship to the woman – Ruth Roman – who has been disenchanted by both.
In Competition, Venice Film Festival
16.6.2019(SUN): Film talk with Derek Lam
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.