Dir: Stanley Kubrick
UK/USA, 1975, 184min, DCP
Cast: Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson,Patrick Magee, Leon Vitali
Regarded as the most beautiful film made by Stanley Kubrick, this hypnotic masterpiece follows the fluctuating life of an Irish man without morals. Ryan O’Neal plays an 18thcentury rogue who enlists in the army, spies as an undercover agent, marries a wealthy noble woman, and then destroys himself. Shot in lenses used by NASA in the Apollo moon landings, the film is consciously a museum piece painted by candle-lit impressionist cinematography. Apart from the strikingly sumptuous production design and costume, Kubrick supplies his signature sense of detachment in stately elegance, with only a quiver of sadness and irony offered by the offscreen narrator. After all, Kubrick is still remorseless in his doubt of human goodness.
1976 Academy Awards, Best Cinematography,Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design and Best Original Song Score or Adaptation
11/06/2017 (Sun): Post-screening talk with Lau Yam
Tickets available at screening venues on screening date 14/05/2017 (Sun)
Tickets available at screening venues on screening date 11/06/2017 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.