Dir: Barbet Schroeder
USA, 1987, English, 99min, 35mm
Cast: Mickey Rourke, Faye Dunaway, Alice Krige
Honoring the free-flowing rhythm of Charles Bukowski’s semi-autobiographical screenplay, Schroeder enlisted Müller to construe his intoxicated magical world through drunk eyes. In the bar scenes infused with a painterly iridescence, we see Henry – in a mesmerizing performance by Mickey Rourke – deals with desolation through alcohol, and sometimes poetry, engaging in bar fights and falling under the spell of fellow alcoholic Wanda. Yet, there’s nothing depressing about these tavern habitués – it may be full of jesting misery, but it still blooms with the bittersweet kiss of dreams.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.