Dir: Christian Petzold
Germany, 2012, 105 mins, DCP
Cast: Nina Hoss, Ronald Zehrfeld, Rainer Bock
It is East Germany, 1980. Barbara, a physician who hopes to reunite with her lover in West Berlin, is sent to a remote provincial hospital, under the supervision of the pediatrician Andre. While planning an escape, she gradually falls in love with Andre, leading to a dilemma whether to stay or leave. Petzold, the son of East German refugee, elegantly captures the weird oppression and constant surveillance of Germany’s divided past, creating tension and acute uneasiness in Barbara’s world. Bathtubs, bicycles, cigarettes, all take on portentous significance in the totalitarian culture. It is the time, nothing, and no one, is to be trusted.
2012 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear for Best Director
2012 German Film Awards, Outstanding Feature Film in Silver
18/11/2017 (Sat): Introduction by Nicolas Wackerbarth. Conducted in English
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.