Autumn Sonata (Höstsonaten)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1978, 92min, DCP
Cast: Ingrid Bergman, Liv Ullmann
The only collaboration between cinema’s two great Bergmans: Ingmar and Ingrid, this fascinating psychological tapestry strikes a bitter discord of generational alienation. Chopin’s Prelude reopens the old wounds of Eva (Liv Ullmann), the shy and insecure daughter who felt neglected and overshadowed by her austere, professionally-occupied mother Charlotte (Ingrid Bergman). Dredging up grievances over the past, their painful confrontations find no ways for reconciliation, leaving a slender thread of hope in the fading color of the fall.
1979 Golden Globe Awards, Best Foreign Film
1979 Academy Awards, Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay nominations
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.