Au Hasard Balthazar
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1966, 95min, DCP
Cast: Anne Wiazemsky, Walter Green, François Lafarge
A simple rural girl, Marie (played by Anne Wiazemsky, who later married Godard) and her donkey. Plain stories, inspired nonetheless by Dostoevsky, that separate and intertwine over years that bring suffering and abuse. Bresson distills filmmaking to its very essence, in an astonishing minimalist story where both human and animal become parables of redemption shot through with Bressonian doubt as well as Bressonian beauty. Bresson’s first film with cinematographer Ghislain Cloquet and a multiple prize-winner at Venice.
1966 Venice Film Festival, OCIC Award
1967 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Film
‘Filmmakers on Bresson – Michael Haneke, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
‘Filmmakers on Bresson – Marguerite Duras, Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.